LRO: Leaf vs coil attitude, you guys have it made

From: Andrew H. Litkowiak (andylit@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 21:21:58 EDT

    Interesting comments by Perrone.

    I'll give you another perspective from another marquee.

    In the Land Cruiser community, the exact opposite is true. Shorties and leaf
    spring wagon owners drool over the later coil sprung trucks (FJ80 & FZJ100
    Series), waiting for those models to hit the market used so they can be bought
    and wheeled.

    The coil sprung owners (for the most part) know nothing of the history, nor do
    they care about it. 1 in 10,000 will ever touch anything rougher than a graded
    gravel road.

    I believe the difference is in manufacturer support. In the US, Land Rover is
    extremely supportive of the entire family of trucks, form Series I to the 2002
    models. History and purpose drive your advertising. The relationship between old
    and new is wallowed in. LR supports the magazines, events, etc. A new customer
    walking into the showroom will leave with a certain knowledge level concerning
    Land Rover roots. It's all part of the mystique.

    Toyota, on the other hand, seems to be moderately embarrassed about the Land
    Cruiser roots. Although they did celebrate history one year, for the most part
    they attempt to distance the late model luxo mall crawlers from their parents
    and grandparents.

    The TLCA is the largest single 4 wheel drive club in the country. I'm sure there
    are more collective local jeep club members, but not under a single tent. I
    believe the same is true of Land Rover. You would think that Toyota would bend
    over backwards to support a 4000+ member organization devoted to Toyota's most
    profitable (per vehicle) line, in the US and worldwide.

    Ha! In 26 years, they've place one stinking ad in the national newsletter. They
    make it incredibly difficult to purchase "discontinued" parts that are readily
    available as close as Canada and Central America. For years, they refused to
    even acknowledge the existence of the organization to Cruiser owners seeking
    help (that was not available through their local dealer).

    I could go on and on. You guys have it made. Count your blessings and be
    grateful that so much variety is available to you. Be grateful that the coil and
    spring clans even recognize the other's vehicle as a Rover. Think of how it
    would feel for a Series owner to greet and Defender owner, only to discover that
    the Defender owner didn't even know the two were related. That happens to us
    Toyota leaf spring folk on a daily basis.

    Andy Litkowiak