Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 02:37:31 EDT

    >>Not all series came with "little training wheels, some came stock with
    >>7.5 x 16, which are about 32" tall.

    >out here, that is a training wheel. 37/38 is the norm for many i run with,
    >i'll probably go 35's on a landy

    THen you may have some minor cleearence peoblems to resolve. THe largest
    tyres the factory fitted to a series rig that wasn't a special was a
    narrow tyre that was 34 inches in diameter (900-16). That was on 109s
    with extended shackles and front spring mounts.

    As the suspension articulates upwards the top of the tyres go in towards
    the midle of the body. and as the wheels articulate outwards the tops
    swing outwards.

    You need to clear the wing openings and the inner wings. I'm running
    265/75/16 mud terrains and on full upward articulation the tyres just
    kiss the rear inner wings.

    The front action seems to be basically just up and down. So a basic
    spring over axle conversion will allow you to run 35s or 36's.

    The rear wheels also dance around in a twisting motion bringing one wheel
    forwards and one rearwards. It is a lot more complex motion pattern than
    the front sees.

    I've seen some people handle 35's by cutting the rear inner wing and
    rebuilding it by moving it inwards towards the centre, providing more
    space for upward articulation.

    Another posibility might be to use wider offset wheels to move the tyre
    away from the inner wing and cutting the wheel cutout larger.

    Here is something else to think about. A series Land Rover was designed
    to fit through the average farm gate in Scotland. It is a lot narrower
    than most all the 4X4s out there.

    Doing a axle over conversion will raise the centre of gravity by a fair
    amount. I do not know where you play but if it includes side slopes be
    sure you install a functional full roll cage.

    Modifications are a series of comprimises. Be sure you know the
    tradeoffs.

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html