LRO: RE: Re: RE: Painless Wiring & light ?

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 16:17:28 EDT

    Pete,

    I used the generous wire lengths of the Painless 7 cir. fuse block to mount
    my fuse panel on the dash, ala modern Range Rovers for easier access (don't
    you just love a IIA dash)...thus I didn't really need the weatherproof
    feature, but it won't hurt none either. I made a cheap&simple junction box
    from a plastic traveling bar-of-soap box...drilled and installed grommets
    either side for wire-ways and mounted it in the same location on the engine
    side of the bulkhead as the original LR fuse block. By terminating the
    Painless leads in opposite-gender terminals to those of the new LR main
    harness leads that go to the LR fuse block, this arrangement is completely
    reversible and keeps the factory wiring diagram intact, except for the new
    branch to the Painless fuse block abd on to various LR functions and
    accessories. For those cirsuits, I also use a Painless roll-bar mount
    6-switch box for various accessories, much like you do your light circuits.

    You might check to see if Painless sells just their naked switch
    boxes...would make a nice splash box...or be creative and use something
    unique...hhmm...how about one of those plastic 'bottle' containers for
    welding rod, for instance?...grommet in the top and bottom for
    wires...suitable plate for relay mounting and slip it all inside...zip tie
    it anywhere!

    JT/ric

    Didn't know who made em, but knew about the expandability. Think it's
    great. I have the fuse blocks, and relays on the upper edge of the
    bulkhead, just above the heater. It's as far away from the heat and as high
    as possible while still in the engine compartment. I still want to make
    some sort of a splash guard for it though.

    Pete