LRO: RE: GPS and Speed

From: Brad Crittenden (bac@spoetzl.net)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 06:13:04 EDT

    The speed calculations for a GPS should be pretty accurate. Even when SA,
    the introduction of intentional error for civilian units, was turned on, the
    speed calculations were quite accurate since the perturbations were constant
    over a small sample time. The speedometer in my Range Rover consistently
    reads low, as verified by those hand radar units the DOT puts up
    occasionally, and the GPS speed readings were a consistently higher than my
    speedometer -- as I would expect.

    The speedometer in my beater car went out a few months ago and had to be
    replaced to the tune of about $300. I wish I'd been thinking and just
    bought a GPS to leave in it!

    --Brad