Re: LRO: How Much Oil For An Oil Change ?

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 00:54:19 EDT

    Seven US quarts (is there any other type?) has always worked for
    me--puts it right at the "H" line. When traveling I don't add oil
    until the level falls below the "L" and then only enough to bring it
    to the midway between point. My experience is that the first quart
    blows off rather quickly--as in the time/distance provided by one
    tank of fuel on the highway--but the level will hang out around "L"
    for three or four tanks before dropping below. This "theory" has
    proved true for three engines--two of them fresh out of the box.

    YMMV.

    jeff