Re: LRO: More opinions sought

From: Rich & Lori Williams (paddlers@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 22:43:12 EDT

    The guy at the automotive paint supply shop said that POR 15 can go on raw
    steel that's been sandblasted. I'm not sure I believe it though. That's
    partly why I did this informal poll. I don't recall him saying anything
    about a POR 15 prep but it would not surprise me if that was needed.

    And to Russ Wilson regarding the cost of sandblasting...

    So far I've blasted:

    1 Jaguar XK-150 bonnet (all aluminum) = $20
    1 Series deluxe bonnet = $30 (they used plastic media on the Al and sand on
    the steel - masking the Al with many layers of duck tape first)
    4 Jaguar wire wheels = $60

    2 LR door post assemblies
    1 bulkhead
    1 breakfast
    2 mud shields
    1 air filter/battery assembly
    2-5 gallon plastic buckets of "smaller bits"
    and more stuff that I cannot remember - all of this for $100

    They've quoted me $100-150 on the 109 frame (depends on how "dirty" it is
    they say - I've got it very clean so I'm guessing $100)

    And they've quoted me $5 per wheel x 6 (if I can ever get SII spares ;-) I
    don't thing I have anything else that is sandblast-able.

    So for my LR stuff I will have spent a total of $260 - including taxes and
    dept of ecology fees