Re: LRO: FW: Freelander "Heritage"

From: G. Mugele (MewGull@vom.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 12:29:37 EDT

    At 9:23 AM -0600 6/19/01, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

    >So, who distributed series vehicles before LRNA, and when did LRNA come
    >into being?

     From about 1969 ( I think) until they abandoned the Land Rover in the
    US market the importer was British-Leyland. They imported pretty
    much all the well known British marques. Ford brought in the
    Cortina,, I think Chrysler brought in the Rootes Group hardware
    (Sunbeam) and as I recall Rollers/Bentleys were still imported
    distinctly. Specialty stuff like Lotus, Marcos, Elva, Morgan and
    such were imported by tiny organizations usually only handling a
    single marque. The advent of the Federal "safety standards"
    requiring crash testing economically precluded most of the small
    outfits from continuing in this market. Thus a large organization
    was needed to deal with the bureaucratic issues.

    Prior to the British-Leyland amalgamation, MG, TR, Jags, Austins,
    Morris, et.al. were imported by British Motor Cars.

    LRNA did not exist prior in the mid 80s, at least not as an importer
    of anything I cared to buy.

    >Do we always get five pounds of verbiage for every ounce of fact?

    In the standard accepted industry practice at this point in time,
    yes. (how'd I do? A dozen words and one fact.)

    G. Mugele
    *** "It's not on any map - true places never are." -- Mark Twain