LRO: Pinzgauer test drive...

From: Bill Adams (badams@IBB.GOV)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 08:58:41 EDT

    I just happened to be in Flowery Branch GA visiting relatives and had
    the opportunity to visit with Sean at Euro-truck Importers. He carries
    Mogs and Pinzies and a few military VW Things, along with spares and a
    few trailers. It was blistering under the midday Georgia sun and Sarah
    and I, on the bike and in our leathers, were about to collapse when Sean
    appeared with the keys to the Pinz.
    What a hoot. Al I can say is that I now really, really like Pinzgauers!
    For those in the dark a Pinzgauer is a military vehicle similar in
    appearance to a 101 LR, but a bit smaller.
    I comes with a 90 HP air cooled (mostly Porsche) four cylinder engine.
    This is coupled to a transfer case that drives a modular central drive
    tube. At each axle there is a locking differential assembly that
    connects to the wheels via CV jointed portal axles. The ground clearance
    is excellent.
    On the road the acceleration is car like and the engine is smooth and
    quiet. The driving position is right up front and the visibility is
    excellent, like a VW Transporter. The gearbox is fully synchromesh, so
    no missed shifts. Braking was very good with its large finned drums.
    Steering was quite sure, but a load would have made it more sure-footed.
    The springs tend to push the axles down so that the truck runs on the
    outside edge of the tires. Interior appointments are zero.
    Unfortunately, the drive train is very noisy with a very whiny gear
    noise from straight cut gears. I suppose this could be abated with
    heavier synth lubes and a big thick cattle mat in the bed.
    The bed is huge and the side seats flop inward to form a diamond plate
    cargo bed.
    Body construction is all steel, but on these early seventies vintage
    trucks, there was little rust. They all are heavily undercoated. The
    muffler seems to be the soft spot as all of them were welded up here or
    there.
    The soft top is made of synthetic material, fits well and wraps far
    enough down so that it keeps water out. A continuous rubber bungee keeps
    it flat and it doesn't flap in the wind at speed. Hard tops are
    available.
    My personal fondness is for the radio body or K model which has five
    doors.
    There is a six by six also which is slightly longer (a little slower and
    a little heavier). I suppose that you could make an 10x10 if you wanted
    to by simply adding more spacers and axle assemblies!
    Anyway, Pinzgauers are very fun, not expensive and easy to live with. A
    good choice to augment the Rover collection.

    --
    Bill Adams
    3D & Motion Graphics Design Director

    '66 Land Rover 109 SW Diesel '81 GoldWing '69 Le Sabre Convertible '63 Pearson Vanguard "Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"