Re: LRO: Land Rover Price in 1959?

From: G. Mugele (MewGull@vom.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 18:12:55 EDT

    Can't say much about 1959 since I was not interested in making a
    purchase then.

    In 1968 it was all but impossible to find a new Land Rover of any
    style for sale in the US. That was the year that they stopped
    importing 109s and diesels, although I have heard that a very few of
    each did reach our shores through "legitimate" channels.

    In 1969 there was a waiting list at each of the very few US
    dealerships and the used LR market seemed to be non-existent. In
    July of 1969, after a three month wait, I paid $3749. That was the
    number on the check, so that includes tax, license, dealer prep,
    undercoating, power windows, skyliner retractable roof...oh wait. No
    it was just the legal fees and the Series IIa 88 "Deluxe
    Station-wagon" with the bonnet mounted spare. At the time I was
    making around $7.5K as a computer jockey.

    In January of 1996 I bought a D90 SW and the check was for very close
    to 10x the price of the '69. My income was better than 10x but my
    position had changed significantly. I'd say that the same position I
    held in 1969 would have paid about 5x or 6x more in 1996 than in
    '69, So it's fair to suspect that there is some disparity in the
    current costs.

    For another consideration though, in '69 the thought of marketing
    Land Rovers as collectibles would have been sillier than imagining
    that a has-been movie actor would be president someday. I certainly
    had no expectations that my Land Rover would appreciate.

    Somewhere in my files I have a Car&Driver road test of a 109 4-door
    from about 1964. As I recall it was somewhere about $3,500 with
    pretty much all the good stuff you could reasonably expect. The 88s
    were quite a bit cheaper, a fair bit under $3K.

    For comparison purposes, consider a Porsche 365 in '64 was very
    nearly $4K, an Austin Healey 3000 was around $3200, a TR-4A or MGB
    was around $2700 and as Peter pointed out a Beetle was firmly priced
    at $1800.

    Given the above: in the 60s Land Rover was sort of in the middle of
    the market price-wise and was a status symbol only in very limited
    social circles. Certainly not as they are now, priced at the very
    high end with serious status collecting rides.

    G. Mugele
    *** "Thanks to the Interstate highway system, it is possible to
    travel coast to coast without seeing anything." -- Charles Kuralt