Re: LRO: Land Rover Price in 1959?

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 16:47:18 EDT

    Auto pricing has managed to outpace the rate of inflation. The dollar is
    worth approximately 1/4th the value it had in the early '60s. If we take a
    VW Bug as an example, the MSRP AND selling price was approximately $1,800.
    That would translate into a today's price of $7,200. Less than half what a
    new Beatle costs.

    Of course you get a bit more in performance, handling, fuel economy,
    comfort, standard features, and safety in todays auto. Its hard to compare
    '60s era auto's with today's as the old ones were so basic and primitive.
    The Series Rover is a prime example. In the old days, most cars came with
    no electronics. Electrics were limited and not installed on most cars,
    other than an AM radio. Air conditioning was available but most cars
    weren't equipped. Most American cars were automatics but not in pickups
    and, if available, were jerkomatic performance cancelors in foreign cars.
    Lap seat belts were options, if available at all, and were just about the
    only safety feature. It wasn't until the '60s that cars were designed so as
    not to injure the occupants in a crash. Before that, it seemed like the
    stylists purpose was to injure, not to protect, the occupants. Tires were
    bias ply with a life expectancy of around 20,000 miles. You could get fancy
    hubcaps but no alloy wheels. Brakes were universally drum type, even on a
    'Vette for American Cars. Handling was a euphemism for wallowing, foam
    rubber like, over undualtions in the road. Forget trying to create high g
    turns as body roll, frame twist and lack of suspension control made,
    anything but straight line, driving a frustrating experience. Foreign cars
    did handle better but suspensions were typically so stiff that a minor bump
    could throw the car out of control. The 356 Porsche was about the only car
    that would handle well on rough roads and it had it's own uniquley
    interesting handling quirks. Service intervals were 1500 miles and major
    services at 6,000 miles. Suffice it to say, comparing '60s autos to current
    is comparing apples to oranges.

    Having said all the above, I lament the passing of truly utilitarian
    functional vehicles. Love the metal dash on an old Bug. What a joy it used
    to be to lift the hood and actually see an engine. Even better to work on,
    which was good, since you'd have to. Miss having to plan an exit strategy,
    in my MGA, before entering a high speed turn just in case the rear axle lost
    contact with the ground because of a lump in the road. Roll up windows
    marked the demise of truly interesting auto's. Cars have truly become
    appliances and most with the soul of a toaster.

    Oh yes, what were we talking about?? No definitive answer, though think it
    was right around $3,000 for a brand new 88. You could also buy a tricked
    out chevy Impala coupe for that price.

    >From: Rick Grant <rgrant@cadvision.com>
    >Would anyone happen to know the approximate price in North America of a
    >Series II in 1959 or thereabouts?
    >
    >The reason I ask is that I got chatting with a Disco driver today who
    >remarked that my rather time worn but reeking of character Series II
    >probably cost the equivalent in 1959 of a Discovery today. I'd like to
    >check that.
    Rick Grant
    1959 Series II "88"
    VORIZO