Re: LRO: True Brits (was Guiness)

From: G. Mugele (MewGull@vom.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 16:25:50 EDT

    At 11:15 AM -0600 6/12/01, Coates, Clinton wrote:
    >Somebody wrote that the Scots, English and Welsh were British, but not the
    >Irish? I have a cousin in law from Wales (a Jones...) who has informed me
    >that "...the Welsh are the only true Britons...". The term English is an
    >evolved form of Angleisch (or some version of this spelling) which comes
    >from the Angles, one of the Teutonic mob that came over to Briton in the
    >400s and onwards. Hence, Anglo-Saxon... It seems there was a Welsh king
    >named Arthur or Artur or Artursus or somesuch who took umbrage with this and
    >tried to kick them out, to no avail...
    >
    >I am sure someone with a better grasp of history and archaeo-linguistics
    >could pin me down on some of the dates and details, but in broad strokes, I
    >think that comes close.

    Well Clinton, here's a fun site where you can learn more about the
    Angles (and Sax) in Northern England and how it was they came to be
    there after the Romans departed (by invitation actually) and their
    migration to the South East.
    http://www.britishempire.co.uk/bbs/messages/10230.html

    >Funny, all those good Anglo Saxon Britons from Robin Hood's time were being
    >put upon by Normans, who were nothing more than a bunch of hopped up
    >Vikings, another Germanic crowd.
    >
    >Gotta love history!

    You'll have to look elsewhere for Anglo-Saxon dominance in the the
    Southeast prior to the invasion of the Normans .... BTW they were
    from Normandy (France) not Germany nor Scandinavia. I think that
    little conflict started by Bill the Conqueror may be the basis for
    the current and ongoing love/hate relationship between the peoples on
    opposite sides of the channel. Of course that other more recent
    French guy, Mr. Bonaparte may have contributed.

    http://britishhistory.about.com/aboutuk/britishhistory/gi/dynamic/offs
    ite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibiscom.com%2Fbayeux.htm

    LAND ROVER Content..... it should be noted that Series Land Rover
    technology was derived directly from 1900 years of continuous
    development of the Ox Cart with influence and techno,input from the
    Romans, Vikings, Danes, Germans, French and even the US WWII
    contribution, the J**p.