Re: LRO: Re: Engine/Trans Swap

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 13:18:43 EDT

    Granted, it will happen, but let's say you HAD to always hit a boulder at
    that RPM to get torque and horsepower from your turbo. TeriAnn, I was just
    saying that low end torque is really nice to have, and there is simply no
    replacement for displacement in this case.

    Of course, you can use the gas pedal, I just don' t like the idea of having
    to use it all the time. I think some folks have forgotten why I said what I
    did - Adam, who was discussing an SM420/iron duke swap with a turbo kit, was
    asking for opinions. I basically said that he'd be better off for off-road
    with a torquier motor, normally aspirated.

    Not knocking the Duke swap, it works well, cheap. But if you are planning on
    running 33" tires, and you want the power that you'd find in a Jeep with a
    six, why turbo a 4 cyl? All you really want is a 6.

    J-L