Re: LRO: Re: Engine/Trans Swap

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 15:49:23 EDT

    Cruise and happily are not synonomous with 70mph in a series. If my figures
    are correct, your turning 4,147rpm at 70mph. That's an rpm that will wear
    out the top half of the engine quite rapidly. Because of the slop, weight,
    gravity, and friction, push rod engines aren't high speed engines. Yes they
    can be made to spin up in the 7,000rpm range but internal dynamics greatly
    increase wear at higher rpm. If you don't mind rebuilding the engine
    regularly, you are going to dump the truck on an unsuspecting soul, or you
    simply don't put many highway miles on the truck, yes you can go 70mph per
    hour with stock gearing. Will the engine do it happily with stock gearing,
    no way!!

    By the way, you can almost do it with a stock engine but it takes all the
    71hp to force the rover through the wind. Wind resistance increases
    exponentially. It doesn't just take a little but a lof of hp to increase
    mph. An aerodynamic car may cruise at 70mph with only 40 hp or so but will
    take considerably more, like double, to go 90mph. These figures are not
    scientific, by the way, just to illustrate that something can be done but it
    takes a lot more than just putting your foot farther in the carburetor. The
    example of Timm going 90+ in his 140hp series illustrates my point. A stock
    series with 71hp will go 65. It takes double that hp to go just 30mph
    faster.

    High speed engines can and are built. Formula 1 engines regularly run into
    the high teens and street motorcycle engines are redlined in the low teens.
    Apparently they will happily run near 10,000 rpm for very long periods. To
    get this rpm/longevity they have super lightweight valve systems with direct
    actuation of the valves by the cam. Short blocks are severely oversquare
    and reciprocating masses are very light weight to reduce the effects of
    accelerations and mass. They also don't produce any significant torque or
    hp below the redline of a series engine. Otherwise, they are absolutely
    unsuited to the type of use that a Series truck is supposed to be used for.

    High center of gravity vehicles, pushrod engines, long travel suspensions,
    etc. just aren't meant for high speed perambulation. Driving an SUV at high
    speeds is asking for it, just ask Ford. Look at all the electrickery on a
    Disco II to get decent road handling and still keep the legendary off road
    capabilities of a Rover. Yes they will do very high speeds in a straight
    line, but blow a tire, have to maneuver quickly, or horror of horrors in a
    Series, stop quickly, and you will be facing an interesting situation, to
    put it mildly. Even though our trucks equal or excede the technology of
    typical English sports car of the period, they were designed to stay below
    65mph and cruise well below that. If you want to do long commutes at the
    speed limit on the interstate, change the gearing either by changing the
    diffs, an ashcroft transfer case or an overdrive. To hold that higher speed
    over a reasonable range of conditions at the lower rpm, you will probably
    have to tweak the engine, by the way.

    My tweaked engined 109 wants to cruise above 60mph because its got the hp to
    push the brick faster. Since the gearing is stock, I resist the temptation
    as faster speeds still mean higher rpm despite the fact that I still have
    plenty of throttle left. If I regularly ran the truck at freeway speeds,
    I'd slap an overdrive on in a second. Since I do most of my driving under
    55, will live with it. For those of you in the real world, be kind to your
    trucks, don't assume that just because it will do 75mph, my 109 will, that
    it should be driven consistently at that speed without changing the gearing.
      For those of you wanting to go 90 mph in a Series, you are stupid!!! You
    are risking your lives and worst of all, endangering others. Yes you may
    get away with it indefinitely but if it turns around and bites you, you
    will be in a world of hurt. Hopefully, you will be the only one to suffer
    when it does.

    Modifications that make the truck better able to maintain a reasonable
    speed, add efficiency, allow the trucks to motivate up steep grades or crawl
    over bigger obstacles are all good for the marque. Using the side benefits
    of those tweaks irresponsibly, has consequences that you don't want to face.

    Aloha
    Peter O.