Re: LRO: Re: Engine/Trans Swap

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 05:36:50 EDT

    On Monday 11 June 2001 08:03, you wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Peter Ogilvie wrote:
    > :Given the aerodynamics of a Series, I think you'd rue the day that
    > : you geared it so high (low numerically). Probably would take 400hp
    > : to push the brick at that speed. 3,000rpm @ 70mph would probably
    > : be a lot better as the
    >
    > I've riden in an 88 at that speed -- speed measured by a handheld
    > GPS, not a speedometer. It had a 2.25 in it, even. It was a rather
    > hopped up engine, sure, and there was a long, not too steep downhill
    > and probably a tailwind.

    I've a friend who's tweeked his 2.25:
    Oversized pistons;
    Skimmed head;
    Polished inlet & exhaust ports;
    Automotive inlet manifold;
    SU carb;
    Fewer baffles in the silencer;
    Larger bore tail pipe;
    Balanced engine.

    His engine picks up again at 4,000 rpm, and red-lines at about 7,000.
    The vehicle will happily cruise at 70mph on 235/85r16 tyres, with a
    standard SII gearbox & standard diffs...

    So, I can well believe that a vehicle, with a tweeked engine, a
    non-standard gearbox, non-standard diffs & oversized tyres could exceed
    100mph - given that they were heading downhill, so gravity was helping
    :)

    --
    Ian Stuart - EDINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.