Re: LRO: Acetone and Rain-X (compressor)

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 15:30:50 EDT

    Ogilvie:
    >Hose off anything that could be home for seeds, wouldn't want to
    >start a garden, and put away wet".

    Uhhh...that's exactly what I did. You didn't see any references to
    chamois drying or wax, did you? There's still a few patches of mud on
    the sides--I really only gave it a quick going over. Solar power was
    used for all drying.

    My allergies pretty much dictate that the yellow pollen dust had to
    go--particularly for topless motoring. Seeds could have easily taken
    root in the footwells and rear deck. Bird poop is just plain ugly to
    look at--not to mention unpleasant to sit on when using the wings as
    lounge chairs. Passenger compartment was sufficiently grungy to
    provide a hazard to my clothing (not that big a deal most of the
    time--but the skipper doesn't like it when I show up wearing a "white
    with khaki spots" crew shirt) or that of my passengers (sometimes an
    issue if I'm using the "roadster" for a night on the town.)

    I assure you, the end result of the bath is a vehicle that's still
    Roveresque, just a little more pleasant to ride in. Besides, I'm in
    the habit of taking care of my tools, and the Rover qualifies as such.

    Burns:
    >If you run it off extension cords, a small one may be better.

    Extension cord was only 20' and of sufficient wire gauge that voltage
    drop shouldn't have been an issue. Been using the same set up for a
    long time. (Now back in the days of theatre work, this thing used to
    be forced to run off 150' drops--not the best thing for it, I'll
    admit.) What I don't think it liked very much was the constant duty
    cycle from "constant" of the blower-nozzle when cleaning the air
    filter. Anyhow, hopefully it heals itself.

    --
    ==
      Jeffrey A. Berg     Purple Shark Media        Rowayton, CT