Re: LRO: Re: RE: gear and transfer teach please AND ANOTHER Q

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 04:13:43 EDT

    On Friday 08 June 2001 06:37, you wrote:
    > Okay so add to all this the use of Free Wheeling Hubs. My 109 came
    > with Fairey FWH but never got the opportunity to engage them so 2
    > questions:

    Answers:
    0) What do they do?
    A) They seperate the rotating wheel (and wheel-hub) from the half-shaft
    in the axle.
        This is said to be good because: The rotating wheel turns the hub;
    the hub turns the half shaft, the half-shaft turns the diff; the diff
    turns the front prop; the front prop turns shafts & geats on the
    transfer-box. All the turning shafts and gears requires energy,
    therefor by disconnecting the hubs from the drivetrain, none of this
    stuff turns; you save energy - which means more power for economy or
    speed.
         This is also said to be bad because: all the shafts and gears in
    the drive-train are lubricated by the various parts splashing in the
    oil, and throwing it around. By diconnecting the front wheels from the
    front drive-train, the front drive-train does not get the lubrication
    (and coating) of oil it needs. This causes the various parts to drain
    dry, which which leads to premature wear.. and rust.

    > 1) when the truck is put back into service do I want to keep them
    A) Possibly. The FWH can be useful on long, higher-speed runs, when on
    tarmac'd roads.
        Personaly, I'd remove them if they are not in good condition, of if
    you intend to use the vehicle in muddy conditions
        (why, you ask - Well, I had a set, and when you are buried upto the
    fron axel in sticky mud, the rotating wheels lock & unlock the FWH -
    which is not good :)

    > 2) how do they get used?
    The whole of the aluminium casting is rotated. If you look on the face
    of the FWH, you will see the following:
             4x4 <--> 4x2
    4x4 is locked (wheel and halfshaft connected)
    2x4 is free (wheel and halfshaft seperated)

    If you decide to keep the FWH, then the ideal is disconnect them only
    when you really want to. In practice, most people will keep them freed,
    and lock them when they want 4x4 (in which case, lock them every mile
    in 50 to keep throwing the oil around....)

    --
    Ian Stuart - EDINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.