Re: LRO: Megatester

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 10:11:11 EDT

    I do carry an automotive tester in the Rover (does the tach stuff as
    well as voltage, amps, diodes, etc.) and a Beckman Circuitmate DM-73
    in the BMW. There's also a Fluke meter that mostly stays
    home--decided it was too spenzy to beat around in the Rover.

    I like the simplicity of this device and since I have a minimag
    stashed somewhere in all of these places, I thought this made a nice
    "zero footprint" addition to those toolkits. (Not to mention being
    perfect for my boat bag which really can't be expanded to contain
    things like test meters--weight is an issue on racing boats, but I do
    a surprising number of mechanical and electric repairs on these
    beasts as we're headed out to the starting line.) It might also be
    of interest to those who don't carry a meter. It also gives you a
    certain redundancy in case the meter batteries have gone dead, the
    leads have broken (a problem with the Circuitmate) or in case you
    want to leave the meter connected for one test and do a quick
    continuity check someplace else.

    All that you've said about brewing your own continuity tester with a
    test light, or carrying a meter is true--but the Megatester may be of
    use to some.

    jeff