RE: LRO: Slowing down windscreen wipers

From: Easton Trevor A (trevor_easton@dofasco.ca)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 10:20:32 EDT

    > The model railroaders use them on small DC motors all the time - instead
    > of
    > varying the voltage to the motor (which loses you torque) you vary the
    > duty
    > cycle by switching off the source current with a MOSFET at a high rate
    > (~10Khz). This way uou get full torque but less speed.
    >
    > Come to think of it, that would work REALLY well in this application....
    >
    > ajr
            But you still really need a park position.
            I just had the inspiration. Put a small hall effect device inside
    the gearbox to sense the crank position. When the crank is not in the park
    position turn the motor on. Now all the speed control needs to do is switch
    on long enough for a couple of wipes. by varying the delay time from
    infinity down to zero the wipers can be switched to operate anywhere from
    off to full on. At the end of each on pulse the wipers will find the park
    position and turn themselves off. The wper motor will remain extenally stock
    except for three additional small wires for the HED and the controller can
    be secreted somewhere that won't affect the originallity of the truck and
    spoil your chances of a concours trophy.