Re: LRO: Slowing down windscreen wipers

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 05:39:24 EDT

    >but really it's all Al Richer's
    >fault.

    Gee - thanks a lot, Rick.....8*)

    Seriously, though, you did put grease in the gearcase, right?

    Hmmm....Y'know, if you were at all electronically inclined (and it doesn't
    take all that much to do) I'd think about a PWM speed control for it. Plans
    for them are easy to come by - I just finished designing one for a
    model-railroading friend of mine and I basically pirated one I found on the
    Web.

    The model railroaders use them on small DC motors all the time - instead of
    varying the voltage to the motor (which loses you torque) you vary the duty
    cycle by switching off the source current with a MOSFET at a high rate
    (~10Khz). This way uou get full torque but less speed.

    Come to think of it, that would work REALLY well in this application....

                                  ajr