LRO: Re: Re: Overworked and underpaid

From: Frank Elson (frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 05:04:40 EDT

    Marin writes: >>>Relating this to Land Rovers and the car industry, it would
    be interesting to hear
    > the views on the benefits of unions from some of the UK members of this
    list old
    > enough to recall the situation in Britain's automotive industry during the
    1960s and
    > '70s<<<

    do I have some views!

    To my mind the history of the Unions in the UK motor industry, and other
    industries goes something like this:

    During the industrial revolution of the 19th Century owners of mills and
    pits acted like dictators. When they wanted a few pounds more they dropped
    wages. Conditions were atrocious and unions came in to try to get some
    justice. Early unionists were attacked by soldiers for (illegally at the
    time) trying to go on strike.
     Eventually we got unions legally and they did a great deal of good.

    Then came the 20th Century and, particularly WW2. The war led to a boom in
    industry in the UK during the 50's. Every company was making a lot of money.
    Every year the Unions marched in and asked for more money and the owners,
    who were all making a fortune, handed it over.
     The Unions, therefore, got the feeling that whatever they wanted they could
    get - and this was true to a great extent.
     By the time the downturn came in the 60's and 70's the Unions were so
    big-headed that they were not prepared to bend. They had three ideas in
    particular that they simply wouldn't budge over.
     1. Differentials. Different jobs had different wage scales but job 1 was
    worth (say) half the wage of job 2. If job 1 got a rise, job 2 insisted on
    the same rise to 'keep the differential' and the same the other way around.
    2. tea breaks/ other perks. We saw strikes that emptied entire factories in
    the 60's just 'cos management wanted to alter tea break arrangements. For
    instance, in the Austin factory at Cowley I remember, the tea break was 15
    minutes and started at 10am. Management told some guys that, if they worked
    10-10.15 and had their tea break then, others who had been on break 10-10.15
    could start work on items the other lot had worked on... the union called a
    strike.
    3. Inflexibility over jobs. Worker a did 'this', he did not do 'that' and if
    he was told to do it, or workers en masse were asked to do a job that was
    not theirs it would cause a strike. You had the fact that (say) a dozen
    workers would be sitting around because it was not their job, but another's
    to push a button.

    So my view is that Unions started off as a 'good thing' but, through
    circumstances, became so powerful that they lost sight of land.

    Best Cheers

    Frank
         "(o)======(o)" Bronze Green 110 CSW