Re: LRO: Tranny swap/rebuild

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 11:08:15 EDT

    > I also need a rear cv-joint for
    >my rear driveshaft I discovered yesterday. I can get the cv at NAPA right ?
    >Think I will go ahead and get a new seal for overdrive and what else ? Any
    >ideas, suggestions, easier ways, etc. will be much appreciated.
    >
    >'66 109" P/U

    I'll let someone with more experiencerebuilding different gearboxes
    answer your first question.

    Unless you have done something very unusual to your 109 I think you mean
    'U' joint and not cv-joint.

    Yes they are off the shelf Spicer 'U' joints and they should be able to
    match your old one with a new one at NAPA.

    When I have one that is getting tired, I usually replace both on the
    assumption that the second has lots of wear too and will need changine
    out long before the new one will.

    When you have the shaft out you may be tempted to seperate the sliding
    end from the main part of the shaft. If you are, mark both parts so that
    you can reassemble the parts with the same 'U' joint nuckle relationship
    (they go back into the exact same corresponding splines that they were
    in).

    Don't forget to lube the new ones frequently. I like to do it as soon as
    possible after a water crossing and right after any dusty off road trip
    as well.

    One last thought. Go back under and check the tightning of the prop
    shaft about 100 miles after you reinstall it. Sometimes those bolts
    will be a little loose after the shaft has turned a little.

    Other than that best luck with your project!!

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html