LRO: RE: Lead pencils and brakes

From: Easton Trevor A (trevor_easton@dofasco.ca)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 08:20:26 EDT

    > I'm not sure that I follow this properly, however, is it the idea that one
    >
    > drills a series of holes vertically near the leading edge face of the
    > shoes
    > and inserts bits of graphite pencil leads?
            That's the idea.

    > If so, then isn't the efficiency of the braking system compromised because
    >
    > after all, graphite is a lubricant?

    The braking isn't compromise by the lubrication because actually brake
    linings have a fairly low coefficient of friction anyway. The braking might
    actually be improved because of the elimination of stick/slip which makes
    the action smoother.

    > I reduced brake squealing to next to nothing by chamfering the leading
    > edge
    > of the shoes to a 30 or 45 degree angle on the advice of someone who had
    > dealt with similar problems in MG's.
            That works too. Also for disk brake pads.