Re: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye

From: christian147@juno.com
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 01:53:57 EDT

    >But
    >its far, far from a 100% certainty that exposure will lead to cancer.
    >That's why it took so long to associate asbestos with the peculiar form
    of
    >cancer it causes.

    Mesaspeloma (sp?) is the cancer traced to asbestos. Far more common is
    Asbestosis, an emphysema like condition, just as deadly.

    >Wearing a simple particle mask is more that adequate protection from
    asbestos dust.

    Just not true and you should know better. All masks are not created
    equal. The mask must be an effective filter of the fiber size in
    question, as not all fiber sizes cause the conditions. The mask must
    also have an effective seal on the face. I don't know of a single strap
    mask that can do that. Any facial hair in the seal area will negate the
    best masks.

    >The big problem with Asbestos was that the Manufacturers did not act
    quickly
    >when they knew it could be a health hazard. More than 10 years, might
    have
    >been 20, passed between the determination that it caused cancer in some
    >people, and the time the word was put out.

    More like 60 years. The correlations were first made in the 20's.. Best
    to wear a particle mask
    and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on
    your
    brakes. Don't worry, be happy. Even if you snorted the stuff, you
    probably
    wouldn't get lung cancer.

    > Best to wear a particle mask
    >and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on
    your
    >brakes.

    The current OSHA approved method is to spray the brakes from at least 18"
    with an aerosol can of cleaner until the dust is wet then you can clean
    at close range.

    > Even if you snorted the stuff, you probably
    >wouldn't get lung cancer.

    How about asbestosis?

    Chris hall