LRO: Wobbly (?) distributor - Series III

From: Nick Danger (nick@hackermonkey.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 20:01:16 EDT

    I just got back from a california trip on business and I parked the Rover
    before I left. A week later I came back and she started up great! Let her
    warm up and away I drove, kinda. It was as if I wasnt getting enough gas, or
    it was way out of tune. It was chocking and doing strange things when trying
    to drive forward, it idled fine and revved fine just not when in gear. At
    first I thought I broke the clutch or something but I chalked it up to
    something in the fuel line or the float in the carb clogged.

    I just cleaned the carb lines and it seemed fine. (Zenith; I blew cleaner
    into all the jets and watched them squirt out the other holes. The intake
    hole still seems a little clogged but I might just be a bozo there) I also
    checked the points and thats when I noticed the distrib shaft is a little
    wobbly. I think wobbly might not be the right word as I cant really wiggle it
    out of line but I can rotate it a few degrees in either direction with zero
    resistance and a noticable "clink" noice when I do so.

    And that has me nervous. The behavior is still there, less so then it was
    before, but still very noticable. And Im running very rich, I can hear the
    popping in the exhaust.

    So before I try to bring this to the mechanic (i've been meaning to do so and
    perhaps its finally time its out of my league), am I looking at this wrong,
    and is my dist shaft supposed to rotate a little by hand? I dont remember it
    ever doing that, but then it hasnt even been a year yet that I've had it :-)
    Im not so sure my ear is in the range for tuning by ear yet.

    Thanks all!

    -Nick
    Series III

    PS - Saw some very nice Rovers around CA! A few defenders and a Series that
    was in polished aluminum. (outside San Francisco) This was all around the
    Santa Cruz, San Jose and San Francisco areas.