Re: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 20:21:44 EDT

I believe the gov't just announced that you still need to be careful of
brake shoes as they still contain asbestos. Apparently the mfg's are just
now getting around to removing the stuff.

Asbestos is not the big bugaboo that the health nuts would have you believe,
by the way. Asbestos is a naturally occurring substance, especially in the
Western American Desserts. It does not cause lung cancer, ala cigarettes,
but a cancer of the the lining of the outside of the lung. The molecular
structure of asbestos looks like one of those spiked balls like the old
knights used as a Mace and Ball. Very sharp edges. Apparently it irritates
the lining of the lungs and eventually causes cancer, in a few people. But
its far, far from a 100% certainty that exposure will lead to cancer.
That's why it took so long to associate asbestos with the peculiar form of
cancer it causes. In the first place it must be ground down to a molecular
level dust to cause any damage. Unfortunately thats the state it was in for
the pipefitters to make up a slurry that they'd wrap around pipes. Probably
high concentration of the stuff in the air in the bowels of a ship. You
also may notice that's the state the remains of your brake pads/shoes are
when they are worn down. Wearing a simple particle mask is more that
adequate protection from asbestos dust.

The hysteria about asbestos in building materials is mostly completely
unwarranted. All you have to do, to be safe, is encapsulate it so it can't
be broken up. A simple paint covering is enough. We've wasted billions of
dollars ripping out asbestos, when it could have been noted, safely
encapsulated and left in place. It then could have been removed when there
was an actual need like the offending parts had to be removed, or demolition
of the building. Asbestos in floor tile is almost an absolute non problem
as the asbestos remains bound up with the filler in the tile so it doesn't
break down into its pure molecular structure and its spiky nature is not
exposed. So asbestos was an especial hazard for those working directly with
it, in its powder form, in construction or other manufacturing, but not a
danger to the general public in its finalized form.

The big problem with Asbestos was that the Manufacturers did not act quickly
when they knew it could be a health hazard. More than 10 years, might have
been 20, passed between the determination that it caused cancer in some
people, and the time the word was put out. When I worked in the Boat
Building industry in the '70's they used powdered asbestos as a thickener in
resin. Stuff was left on the shop floor, uncovered, in 50 gallon drums. We
used to scoop it into ordinary grocery bags to carry to the job site. Don't
know how many of the bags broke and the contents blown around the boat yard.
  The area around the drum was covered in grey powder. No one knew, at that
level, that precautiouns needed to be taken and you shouldn't be breathing
the stuff.

As far as the poor laborers breaking their backs on a union, government job
laying tile. I haven't seen a government and/or union job where anyone was
overworked. Biggest health hazard is from getting fat. Construction
workers DO earn their pay, but I wouldn't be crying over how they are
overworked ad especially being under paid.

So don't sweat your past exposure to asbestos. Best to wear a particle mask
and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on your
brakes. Don't worry, be happy. Even if you snorted the stuff, you probably
wouldn't get lung cancer.

Aloha
Peter
Asbestos suit in preparation.