LRO: Re: RE: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)

From: Rich Williams II (richw@nwlink.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 14:40:03 EDT

    No LR related but here's a good one. My folks recently had one of their
    bathroom floors replaced recently due to water damage. The house was built
    in 1980 which is around the same time that asbestos use was banned in
    residential flooring. Yet there was still quite a lot of asbestos-laden
    flooring in the supply chain through the very early eighties. Anyway, some
    poor laborer took a power saw to the flooring and unknowingly filled the
    house with asbestos dust (as well as his lungs - yikes!). That night I was
    laying on the floor looking down into the framing to inspect the damage
    (I've built several homes in the past and was keeping an "eye" on things for
    my parents). When I stood up from the prone position I looked at one of the
    floor scraps laying about and thought it looked suspicious. The test is to
    bend the flooring. If you take a corner and bend it up and it easily
    flexes, no problem. But if you bend it over and it snaps and breaks as if
    it were brittle then it is likely positive for asbestos. I immediately had
    it tested and sure enough - loads of the junk. And I was white with dust
    from laying on the floor - so who knows what will happen in the future. And
    how many old bathroom floors does this other guy saw up in an average year,
    not knowing anything about what he is cutting into?? $55,000 later the
    insurance company (who recommended the contractor who did the bathroom
    repair) had the house cleaned up. But that still left carpet with a lot of
    asbestos so that had to be replaced at an additional cost of many thousands
    of dollars. The contractor immediately filed for bankruptcy protection and
    left town. Apparently, with several of the insurance company's jobs in a
    similar state of chaos with asbestos problems and the like.

    And so life goes on....

    Rich