Re: LRO: Re: Gas tank float

From: Zaxcoinc@aol.com
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 20:12:00 EDT

    In a message dated 5/29/01 3:24:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    steve@coastaldatasystems.com writes:

    > . The rod may have been calibrated
    > > in gallons- I don't know as I've never flown one of those planes.
    >
    > The J3 I learned to fly in wasn't calabrated. When the lack of exposed
    > wire made you nervious, you landed. Sometimes on the road beside the
    > filling station :-)

    My Luscombe 8-A, was calibrated in 1/4 ; 1/2; 3/4; and Full. It read via a
    cork float, and lever with gearset behind a little glass window. The gauge
    was right behind the pilots head. Much like Perrones' CB.

    Back then it was "improper" according to the FAA to run auto gas in your 65
    "screaming horsepower" wonder. If you were clever though when you put the gas
    can down at the pump in town, the AVGAS label was toward your tire. When you
    were pouring it into the plane it was toward the rest of the flight line. Now
    sadly, it is legal with the right paperwork, and pilots have one less thing
    to be clever about. All discussion about whether it is clever or not can be
    tabled for later.

    Zack