Re: LRO: Re: Gas tank float

From: Rick Grant (rgrant@cadvision.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 14:36:08 EDT

    At 10:25 29/05/01 -0700, Faure, Marin, wrote
      I asked
    >the mechanics who work on the planes I fly what the old Taylorcrafts,
    >Piper Cubs, etc., used for floats in their gas tanks, which were mounted
    >in front of the cockpit. A float in the tank was attached to a vertical
    >rod that
    >stuck up through the cowling in front of you. As you used fuel, the rod
    >would
    >get shorter as the float moved down in the tank. The rod may have been
    >calibrated
    >in gallons

    It's going back a bit but as I recall none of the Aeroncas, Cubs, or
    Taylorcraft I flew had any markings on the rod although why not is beyond
    me. It would have been simplicity in itself to at least mark quarter and
    half marks in paint on the things.

    As for the floats, yes they were cork but I also saw one that consisted of
    a ping pong ball expoxied or something to the end of the rod.

    Given the weirdnesses I later saw in more complex aircraft fuel sensing
    systems I sometimes wondered whether bits of coat hanger stuck on lumps of
    cork might not have been more appropriate technology.

    As for Land Rover fuel floats. Mine in the SII is a metal cylinder. A
    couple of years back I pulled it out in my attempt to fix some gauge
    problems and I discovered it to be partially flooded as a result of a pin
    hole leak. I got the gas out of it by putting the float on a small
    electric hot plate outside and heating it for about an hour and then
    soldering the hole.

                                                 Rick Grant

                                        1959 Series II "88"
                                      VORIZO