LRO: Tranny query

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 13:55:37 EDT

    Hey folks,

    I am knee deep in transmission bits right now, trying to figure out what to
    do with all these ford and rover bits. Here's where I am getting hung up.

    Between the rover transmission and transfer case I am dissassembling, there
    is a distance piece, with a saucer shaped disk pressed onto it, for oil
    control I presume, on the main output shaft, where it exits the
    transmission, and enters the T case. I have seen this before.

    But, for some reason, I cannot remember ever seeing a seal riding on this
    distance piece, that is in the transmission, next to the rearmost output
    shaft bearing. The transmission is a series III suff. A, and I am wondering
    if this was added later in the design, or my other rover transmission, which
    had been previously redone I presume, had a missing seal, or is my mind
    turning turning to blue spongy foam, like in that movies I saw once for
    three bucks. The seal keeps oil in its respective case, which seems like a
    pretty good idea, and I am incorporating it into my adapter plate (being
    reworked, as everything I do is in a state of constant modification). I
    don't remember ever seeing a seal on my suffix A series II lowrange transfer
    case.

    Can someone shine some light into this manner... I doubt putting a seal
    there would hurt anything, I'm really only interested in knowing if there
    was always a seal there in rover transmissions.

    thanks,

    J-L