Re: LRO: Hotfoot!

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 13:22:41 EDT

    >discovering some of the wonderful habits of our Series trucks. The newest
    >is the hot footwell. The cause is obvious - that toasty exhaust pipe hiding
    >behind a thin aluminium sheet. Has anyone tried insulating the pipe or the
    >transmission tunnel? I'd prefer to put the insulation on the pipe or close
    >to it instead of inside the truck. I might even have some old header wrap
    >around somewhere. Suggestions, comments, dire warnings?

    When I first got The Green Rover, she need a klot of work just to get her
    going and one of the early itms was replacing a bad steering box. Well I
    didn't get around to replacing the rear wing splash shield and I have
    never had a hot foot well problem. I think the greatly increased airflow
    at the down pipe carries most of the heat away and helps kool the foot
    well. The down side is that I spend a lot more time cleaning dirt off
    the pedel boxes and maybe I get more water dripping down the pedals than
    those with thee splash shields in place.

    My exhaust pipe runs directly inder my left underseat fuel tank. I wrap
    the pipe for the lenth it is under my fuel tank plus a little. I have
    had no ill effects from wraping just a short part of the system.

    So I think you can get away with just wraping the exhause down pipe.

    Take care,

    TeriAnn
                          http://www.overlander.net

      The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
      with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.