Re: LRO: Marvel mystery oil

From: Mark Pilkington (mark@skywagons.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 11:26:00 EDT

    Oh yes, Marvel Mystry Oil. I put it in my plane's oil and fuel to protect the
    valves. I use it in the car. I clean the Range Rovers engine internally with
    it, I use it to quieten stuck hydraulic lifters in the Audi, I drink it and
    bathe in it and wash my hair with it, I work for the factory that makes it and
    get gallons for free.... All that was true except for the part after the
    drinking it. Seriously, we use it in the planes, but strictly should not,
    because it is not FAA approved. I use it in my cars and Landrovers. the older
    Land Rover engine and the plane are from the 1950's. They were not designed to
    run on the rarified leaded 100 octane available today. The Land Rovers were
    running on 5 star in Blighty when I lived there and the planes need more lead.
    It is great stuff. Use it liberally.
    I put Prolong in my 1952 Cessna 170 plane a few years ago because it had a high
    time engine and the valve guides are notoriously weak on that engine. They were
    coated with carbon and eventually they will burn or leak. I saw an ad on TV
    where a Dodge Viper did 200 fast laps around a track in the Arizona Desert with
    no oil in it after being treated with Prolong. I thought "Ah, that is what I
    need" and bought some. It did not say "Not for use in Aircraft" on the bottle
    and neither did it say "please use in Aircraft" Anyway I put in the required
    amount and 3 hours later had two out of six exhaust valves stick wide open. I
    was flying at the time and the two affected cylinders were on the same side so
    she was shaking like a wet dog. After I landed and pulled of the rocker covers I
    saw it was the Prolong that had coated the carbon to the point where it gripped
    the valve stem and held it open in the guide. Marvel Mystry Oil sounds like
    some cure-all-elixier-hype because of it's name, but it is good.
    Mark Pilkington