LRO: Oil seal general question

From: SJH (SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 10:42:00 EDT

    I'm in the process of rebuilding a chain drive koenig winch and last
    night startedlooking at reinstalling seals and bearings. I'll be picking
    up a chain, new sprockets today and all but the dog clutch shifter fork
    at the machinist's tomorrow. The chain case contains a couple of oil
    seals, one for the dog clutch shifter shaft, and one for the input shaft
    from the crank. These are simple cup shaped metal/rubber seals. Where
    each of them fits, there appears to be enough room to double them up
    because they are thinner than the original seals, but it looks as if when
    I do this, there will be no space behind the seal. The inner of the two
    oil seals will rest up against the case, inside the hole in which the
    seals seat. Is it necessary to have a space behind the seals between the
    seal and the housing? When I pulled the old seals, there was a space.
     Is it a bad idea to double the seals up? These seals are both at the
    lowest point of teh chain case, so they will be submerged at all times
    and so I'd like to have the "insurance" of two seals if there is a
    benefit to doubling them up. There is one more seal on the forward
    reverse shifter shaft, and I don't plan to double it up.

    Simon (on digest mode)