Re: LRO: Series Gas Mileage

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 09:25:22 EDT

    On Thu, 24 May 2001, KURT W. KRAUSS wrote:

    :I'd like to hear what others are experiencing as to gas mileage and
    :travel range on their Series vehicles. I seem to be able to travel only
    :about 100 miles between fill ups on my 1973 SIII with a (incorrect)
    :Solex carb from the prior owner. There are no gas leaks. Some of you
    :may recall that this was the vehicle that was backfiring (popping)
    :during deceleration and I complained about smoking during start up.
    :Subsequently, valve seals were replaced, so no more smoking and timing
    :was set and a new set of plugs were installed. In any event, it appears
    :that I'm only getting about 11-12 mpg and with a 10 gallon tank, I can
                                                      ^^^ 12, dammit. 10
    imperial, 12 US.

    You should get more than 12 MPG, though not a whole lot more, somewhere
    around 15 MPG, depending on how heavy your right foot is. I'd bet your carb
    is jetted wrong. You might get lucky and have something like a choke that's
    not coming off all the way, which excessivly enrichen your mixture.

    :see why so many jerry cans and auxiliary tanks are sold. I do burn
    :hi-test with a lead substitute.

    Why hi-test? The rover engine doesn't need it. If you've an overwhelming
    desire to waste money, send it to me. I'll spend it on Rover parts.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.