LRO: Re: RE: Rock sliders

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 14:10:18 EDT

    > What do you use to make them out of? I thought they were a solid piece of
    > Do these sliders fit behind the Birmabright sill piece?

    Aloha Jim. I made mine from 2x3x3/16 tubing. I cut the ends to match the
    shape of the stock sill, and then capped the ends closed. I made mine to
    totally replace the stock sills. Because of the radius of the corners of
    the tubing, they don't look like %100 like stock, but very close. From the
    side it's very hard to tell, only notice when looking at an angle.
    The tubing is notched around the bulkhead outrigger. It is then reinforced
    with a piece of 2x2x1/4 angle welded in side the tub, and it is capped. A
    tab is welded here so that the front end is mounted to the bulkhead
    outrigger bolt. The rear has a bracket to mount to the outrigger at the
    front of the tub. My outrigger here is made from the same 3x5 tubing that I
    made my frame from, so there it is plenty strong. I dont remember what the
    stock ones were like.

    I have since removed the sills, I am going to trim thr leading edge of the
    rear wheel well, so need to remove about 1-2 inches from the sills. WHen I
    do the wheel well I am also planning on making a short extension to the rear
    bumper to protect the back end of the wheel well when coming down off of
    ledges or logs.

    Pete