RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 12:38:58 EDT

    ajr said:
    John, just put together another prop rod. THe ones I've seen aren't much
    more than a piece of bent bar stock with a flat-metal flange on the end to
    attach to the liftgate prop mount.
    The thing I like about them and the different design I have on my '58 is
    that you can lock them in place with a bungie to take up the slack. This
    way, you can drive with the gate up if need be (think large loads in
    truck...). Can't do that with gas cylinders...

    I reply,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the lid end of the prop rod
    attaches to a steel plate riveted to the ally lid proper. The 'hinge' part
    of that plate is awol...so it means re-fabbing the plate w/ hinge as well as
    the rod. For as much work it seemed feasible to me to just stick in 2 gas
    cylinders, retaining the good prop rod for locking-while-driving.

    ...and Trevor said:
    Can do, if the cylinders are set up properly and strong enough. Be sure to
    get struts with proper ball joint ends though or they will rattle if driven
    in the open position.

    ...and I say,
    Its the 'set up and strength' I was concerned about. How does one tell what
    weight a gc will support (from p/n , catalog etc.), other than manually
    testing it?

    JT/ric