Re: LRO: Pertronix timing

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 20:38:55 EDT

    On 14 May 2001, Casey McMullen wrote:

    :The lures of better performance, more efficiency and less trouble got to me.
    :I broke down and got a pertronix system for my 2.25. The install was a breeze
    :(after realizing the + - leads were reversed on the coil) and it instantly
    :sounded much better at idle. My dizzy shaft has a bit of wobble which must
    :not matter much to a magnet & hall sensor. Also idle vacuum went from 19-20
    :up to 21-22.
    :
    :Problems have arisen though. As hard as I try to set the timing by ear, it
    :just won't go. I turn the dizzy a little bit and it starts pre-igniting, turn

    Use a timing light, or statically time it tow what the book recommends, and
    see what happens. I'd also check that you've not knocked off the vaccum
    advance hose, and that the bits of pertronix inside the cap aren't blocking,
    or hung up on anything. Either of these would cause too little advance,
    which would cause your lack of power problems. Check the timing with a
    light at speed and see what it is. I think there's a spec in the shop
    manual. If there's not, post what you get, and I'm sure someone will tell
    you what it should be.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.