Re: LRO: Dealing with old cotterpins and other clutch fun

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 11:09:43 EDT

    No, sounds like every damn LR clutch I've ever done.

    Definitely look hard at the pins and the cross-shaft tube - wear in the
    holes and pins can isert a lot of slop in the mechanism. When I did the
    clutch on Miss Jessica I ended up turning slightly oversize new pins to
    soak up the slop in the mechanism and anti-seizing the heck out of
    everything to deal with the terminal cotterpin rust seizing.

    The one thing I recommend is making a set of guide pins for putting the
    tranny back in. Get 4 3/8 coarse bolts about 3-4" long, cut the heads off
    and grind them to a point. Slot them with a hacksaw for easy removal. Put
    these in place of 4 of the studs and they give you a good guide for
    remating the engine and tranny.

                        ajr