Re: LRO: Newswire headline

From: RON WARD (ronward@synovustrust.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 09:21:07 EDT

    I'm proud of this list of vehicles;

    1972 VW Beetle (wrecked)
    1974 VW Super Beetle (engine from above)
    1978(?) Ford Mustang II (shudder)
    1982 Mazda GLC (burned to the ground in traffic in Athens, GA)
    1981 Honda Accord LX (over 150,000 hard miles)
    1988 Isuzu Trooper LS (4-cyl - best truck I ever owned)
    1990 VW Jetta GLI 16v (against advice of girlfriend traded Trooper for it)
    1992 Volvo 240 GL (slow, 'nuff said)
    1994 BMW 525i (slow, too nice)
    1978 VW Super Beetle convertible (summer fun car, sold it -made $500)
    1987 BMW 535is (fast, 132,000miles)
    1996 GMC Sierra Z71 (brought my first kid home from the hospital in it)
    1985 Porsche 911 Carrera (WOW - totaled a week after I sold it to a Dr.)
    1993 Toyota Landcruiser (sold the Z71 to buy wife's Volvo V70 - I got hers)
    1998 Volvo V70 (only brand new car in the bunch - belongs to SWMBO)
    1995 Land Rover Range Rover LWB (bad VC and didn't even no it)
    1965 Land Rover Series IIa 88" (still got it - love it)
    1993 Land Rover NAS Defender 110 (hated it, sold for a profit)
    1995 Land Rover Range Rover SWB (current truck - love it)

    They say the first step in beating an addiction is admitting you have one.

    >>> konacoffee2@hotmail.com 05/11/01 03:35AM >>>
    Why is it I owned most of the cars on this list at one time or another. The
    only one I'd argue with is the VW Bus. Owned 4 of the bus's and took them
    everywhere. The only places they wouldn't go, took tricked out 4wd to get
    there. Once you got there, you didn't have to worry about a place to sleep.
      Even lived in my '69 camper for 6 months long before being homeless was
    Chic. Of course they were a little slow but not slower than a series truck.
      Remember what a hot rod I thought the '73 bus was with the pancake engine
    and something like 75hp. Drove that truck coast to coast twice. Towed a
    trailer loaded with most of the parts for our Westsail from Va. to Ca.
    Trailer weighed as much as the bus which was loaded to the roof rack, as
    well. Finally sold it after 13 years and 140,000 miles having done nothing
    but one brake job, swapped the dual carbs for an American 4 barrel, and
    replaced the Michelin X's twice. Now that was a reliable car and it
    delivered 21mpg.

    The Dauphin was another story. Something like 5,000 miles between valve
    jobs. I must be somewhat deranged as I liked the Chevette and even thought
    about trading mine in on a diesel Chevette. The AMC Gremlin was given to me
    and you shouldn't look a gift Gremlin in the radiator. It should have been
    enough to convince me I didn't want another AMC product but made the mistake
    of buying A Cherokee when they first came out. BIG mistake.

    One car that should have been on the list is the VW Rabbit. Owned two of
    them. The first, a gas one, burned a quart of oil every 500 miles. The
    dealer told me, with a straight face, that the warranty only kicked in when
    consumption exceded a quart every 200 miles. Traded that in for a diesel
    which blew up with less than 40,000 miles after eating up just about
    everything else mechanical along the way. Car was so low to the ground and
    suspension so poor that we kept holing the oil pan. We ditched it right
    after the warranty ran out as it spent most of its early life at the dealer
    for such minor problems as an engine rebuild at 2,000 miles. This was a
    made in Germany Rabbit, too. Heard the American made ones were even worse.
    VW has never been the same since they started cooling them with water.

    Aloha
    Peter