LRO: Solex rebuild underway

From: RON WARD (ronward@synovustrust.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 08:25:23 EDT

    So I start off planning to simply remove the worn and leaking accelerator pump assembly off the side of the Solex carb last night. You know, why complicate things, just replace the diaphragm and leave the rest alone. I don't know what came over me, but I ended up at 12am this morning with the entire Solex laying in pieces on my work bench. I carefully noted each piece as I removed the unit so refitting should be a breeze (I actually made notes!). I already had the RN gasket kit for the Solex and I have replaced each on the unit. The float is solid and has no holes, the jets are clean and all looks well. The replacement accelerator pump diaphragm should arrive tomorrow. One thing I found curious: as I removed the throttle linkage and cold start cable from the carb assembly before removal I noticed that the vacuum hose from the distributor was tightly fastened to the nipple on the carburetor. However, this nipple screws into the carb body and had nearly run itself all!
     the way out of the body. It seems inconceivable to me that any vacuum pressure could have been held by this loose connection. Upon refit I will tighten that up.

    Could the vacuum or lack thereof contribute to poor performance?

    TIA

    Ron Ward