LRO: 2.6 gearbox onto 2-ltr engine does go (eventually)

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 04:35:54 EDT

    I'm rebuilding a Series 1 (80", with late 2-ltr engine) and have a
    dribbly gearbox to deal with.

    I'd been told that the all-syncro gearbox from the 2.6, 6-cylinder,
    engine fitted the 2-ltr engine in Series 1's - and managed to aquire
    one for 100 quid, with (new) clutch-plate and pressure-plate.

    I can confirm that it does go in, but it's not a simple bolt-on job.

    1) On the 80", the bellhousing crossmember wraps up quite close to the
    bellhousing - and the SIII's clutch slave-cylinder won't fit.

    You can't swap the 2.6's bellhousing for one from the 2-ltr engine as
    the layshafts are different diameters, as are the front bearings.

    You need to chop & weld the crossmember to make clearance.

    2) There is a stud where the SIII slave-cylinder sits, which is not
    used:
    "
    Alex was round again last night, helping me fit the gearbox.

    We shoved the 'box backwards, and seated the engine in place. We then
    spent an hour shoving, pushing, lifting, pulling, and twisting - all to
    get the d*mn gearbox to fit : and it just would not seat.

    The clutch-plate was fine (we checked, even though the pressure
    plate and clutch plate came with the gearbox); the
    spare flywheel housing nestled
    against the bellhousing lovely (two studs just to ensure it
    lined-up OK); Starter-motor out in case *that* was
    holding thing back.

    ** It just would not go IN! **

    In the end, we decided to open the holes out to 12mm - to see if
    there was a slight warp somewhere. As I was about half way
    round, I noticed that there was a spot of very shiney metal just
    beside the slave-cylinder housing.

    "Alex, how many studs do you have, between the starter-motor hole
    and the bottom of the gearbox?", I asked him.

    "Five, why?", he replied.

    "'Cos I've got four holes and a shiny spot!", I answered..

    It turns out that there the 2.6 gearbox uses one less stud that the
    2-ltr gearbox. With the stud removed, it slotted into place as
    sweet and easy as anything!

    Grrrrr!!!!
    "

    --
    Ian Stuart - EdINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.