Re: LRO: Exhaust manifold bolts/tap 'n die

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 14:32:22 EDT

    On 7 May 2001, Casey McMullen wrote:

    :Everyone always says taps/dies are great to have around so I just bought a
    :few. So how do you use these things effectively? I think I got a 1/4-28, and
    :it seems like they cut too much thread off. As a test I ran the tap through a
    :new nut, and ran a new bolt through the die. When fitted they had an
    :extremely loose fit. Is the trick to only run the cutting edges part way
    :through?

    Loose which way? Too easy to spin on, or is there longitudal movement?
    Nuts should be really easy to spin on. Most nuts and bolts at the hardware
    store have badly cut threads. For 1/4-28 a good sping ought to send the nut
    an inch or so down the threads. The nut shouldn't wobble up and down
    though.

    David

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com