Re: LRO: Exhaust manifold bolts/tap 'n die

From: Casey McMullen (caseymcm@usa.net)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 14:18:41 EDT

    Everyone always says taps/dies are great to have around so I just bought a
    few. So how do you use these things effectively? I think I got a 1/4-28, and
    it seems like they cut too much thread off. As a test I ran the tap through a
    new nut, and ran a new bolt through the die. When fitted they had an
    extremely loose fit. Is the trick to only run the cutting edges part way
    through?

    Thanks,
    Casey