Re: LRO: Exhaust manifold bolts!!!

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 20:35:41 EDT

    On Sun, 6 May 2001, Kirk Hillman wrote:

    : I was working on clearing up a few of the issues I have had on my LR for a while now so this may be the first of a number of posts today.
    :
    : Okay, this is going to seem like an amateurish question. I
    : replaced my zenith with a Weber 32/36 and complimentary Pierce
    : manifold. The Pierce does not bolt down to the exhaust manifold as
    : the stock one did. As a consequence a block off plate is needed
    : to cover the hole. This part is easy, I have the plate. The real
    : problem is that with the existing threaded dowels sticking out of
    : the exhaust manifold I cannot run a nut down far enough to hold the
    : plate in place. I assume these dowels are actually threaded into
    : the manifold and have tried heat and oil to break them loose. They
    : aren't press in are they? How does one go about removing them?

    They're called studs. They're supposed to screw out... if you can't get
    them out, take the manifold to a machine shop and tell you want longer ones
    put in. Shouldn't cost too much, and is easier than spending an afternoon
    breaking them off and having to take the thing to the machine shop to get
    the broken bits out...

    Actually, now that I read the rest of your post, the problem seems to be
    that the threads don't run far enough down? In that case, the easiest thing
    to might to cut the threads down farther.

    David

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.