LRO: uh oh, Jim's at it again...

From: Jim Hall (jimfoo@qwest.net)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 13:28:50 EDT

    On the bolts on the oil pipe going between the block and head, there is
    a copper washer. I imagine that there is supposed to be two and not just
    one, one on either side of the pipe. Since I spaced out ordering these
    and don't really want to wait the extra days, does anyone see any
     problems with using fiber washers instead? On my 1st rings, the gap is
    .009. Instead of filing them down, I put them on the lathe/mill and took
    .010 off of half of each side, with a .003 clearance on the overlapping
                                             _______ _______
    portions, creating a semi-gapless ring. |_ |__
    Hopefully it should do fine, and keep the compression up for longer than
    a straight cut ring. If I wouldn't have had .060 pistons, they would
    have been overlapping instead of .009 gap, but this is close enough for
    me :) If they expand more than .009 at running temps, then they will be
    gapless except for the .003 overlap gap.

    --
    Jim Hall
    1966 88" Elephant Chaser