Re: LRO: LMA vs. DOT 4

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 23:39:37 EDT

    > >You want to tell that to the seals in my 88 that failed using generic
    > >DOT 4 fluid?
    >
    > That's unusual.
    >
    > I've been using whatever DOT 4 fluid is handy for 22 years now on the
    > same Land Rover without ill effects.

    Now THAT is strange. I mean I read this, saw who sent it, read it again,
    checked to make sure it wasn't April first, got some more coffee and read it
    again. All I have ever heard/seen on this list is that you need to use
    Castrol LMA or Silicone in your brake and clutch hydraulics or the natural
    rubber seals will fail. Think this is the first time I have ever seen
    someone claim that use can just use anyold DOT4 without getting failure.
    I had the seals on my first British car go out for using a non-LMA DOT4.
    Have seen it happen to others on their vehicles also.
    Pete