LRO: UK reg marks continued

From: Frank Elson (frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 04:33:48 EDT

    Hi guys,
     having sent you the suffix and prefix letters information, and the
    identification letters, for UK cars I thought I'd close it off with the new
    system starting in September of this year.
     Not that anyone I know will be buying a new vehicle anyway. Still it rounds
    off the information.
     One or two of you didn't completely follow my explanation of the others,
    so, please feel free to mail me with questions if I haven't explained this
    lot properly.

    Some others have asked about the military vehicle numbering - I'm working on
    that and will post if/when I get anything definite.
    THE NEW UK REGISTRATION MARK FORMAT

    A new format for registration marks is being introduced from 1 September
    2001. The new system is being introduced because:

       * With the end of the "Y" registration prefix on 31 August 2001, the
         current system will run out of acceptable combinations.
       * Combined with new rules governing their display, number plates will
         become clearer and easier to remember.

    The new registration marks will all be made up of seven characters. There
    are three parts to the registration mark, each with a separate meaning.

       * The first two letters show where the vehicle was registered, the local
         memory tag.
       * The two numbers indicate the age of the vehicle, the age identifier.
       * The last three letters give a unique identity to a vehicle, the random
         letters.

    Local memory tags will help with the recall of number plates and the
    identification of vehicles.

       * The first letter represents the region.
       * The second letter relates to a DVLA Local Office.

    Therefore in AB51 ABC: "AB" shows that the vehicle was first registered in
    Anglia (A) at the Peterborough office (B).

    Age identifiers will continue to change twice yearly in March and September.
    In the example above "51" represents the 6 month period from 1st of
    September 2001
    to last day of February 2002.
    1st March 2002 to last day of August 2002 will have the number '02', 1st
    September 2002 to last day of Feb 2003 will have the number 52 and so on...a
    bit like the prefix and suffices, two changes a year.

    The three final letters will provide a random element to make each
    registration mark unique.

    Letters "I" and "Q" are to be excluded along with letter combinations that
    may be considered offensive. The letter "Z" will be acceptable in this
    element of the number plate.

    FULL LIST OF LOCAL MEMORY TAGS FROM SEPTEMBER 2001

        Local DVLA office Local Identifier
        Memory
         Tag
          A Peterborough A B C D E F G H J K L M N
                      Norwich O P R S T U
                      Ipswich V W X Y
          B Birmingham A - Y
          C Cardiff A B C D E F G H J K L M N O
                      Swansea P R S T U V
                       Bangor W X Y

          D Chester A B C D E F G H J K
                     Shrewsbury L M N O P R S T U V W X Y

          E Chelmsford A - Y
          F Nottingham A B C D E F G H J K L M N P
                      Lincoln R S T V W X Y

          G Maidstone A B C D E F G H J K L M N O
                      Brighton P R S T U V W X Y

          H Bournemouth A B C D E F G H J
                     Portsmouth K L M N O P R S T U V W X Y

          K Luton A B C D E F G H J K L
                    Northampton M N O P R S T U V W X Y

          L Wimbledon A B C D E F G H J
                      Stanmore K L M N O P R S T
                       Sidcup U V W X Y

          M Manchester A - Y
          N Newcastle A B C D E G H J K L M N O
                      Stockton P R S T U V W X Y

          O Oxford A - Y
          P Preston A B C D E F G H J K L M N O P R S T
                      Carlisle U V W X Y

          R Reading A - Y
          S Glasgow A B C D E F G H J
                     Edinburgh K L M N O
                       Dundee P R S T
                      Aberdeen U V W
                     Inverness X Y

          V Worcester A - Y
         W Exeter A B C D E F G H J
                       Truro K L
                      Bristol M N O P R S T U V W X Y

          Y Leeds A B C D E F G H J K
                     Sheffield L M N O P R S T U
                      Beverley V W X Y

    NB: In the event of one office receiving an exceptionally high demand that
    depletes its stock of registration marks, marks may be transferred between
    DVLA local offices. Which means that the ident won't be 100 per cent sure!

    Best Cheers

    Frank
         "(o)======(o)" Bronze Green 110 CSW