Re: LRO: Re: tyres (tires) and sizes

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 13:20:44 EDT

    I haven't had a tire shop give me any trouble about mounting 235/85/16's on
    the 5.5" rims. Costco did refuse to mount the tires with tubes, however.
    They could and did mount the tires, without tubes, on the non tubeless rims
    without asking me. Seems a lot more liability with the non tubeless
    construction of the rims than with the 5.5" width of the rims. I don't know
    how successful tubeless rims are at holding the bead on but have heard lots
    of stories of the bead coming off on non tubeless rims whe run at low
    pressure. One guy with a hot VW even rolled a tire off at high pressure.
    Luckily for him there was a lot of open area to spin out of control after
    the bead popped off.

    Aloha
    Peter
    Mounting my 235/85/16's TracEdges with tubes on later 109 rims the old
    fashioned way with tire irons and big hammer.