LRO: Re: Can't push the truck forward when it's cold? ? ? ?

From: BSharp4601@aol.com
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 04:03:27 EDT

    > I'm getting some 'resistance' (seems mechanical) somewhere in my 109. You
    > can't push it forward out of gear when its cold and when you run it, it
    > lacks
    > whatever peep the 2.25 could muster. Tach, seems high as well, you can
    push
    > it after it has run though. Doesn't seem like brakes or anything I can
    peg
    > down. The truck has ARB lockers from the previous owner but they are
    > disconnected.
    > Any idea what I'm looking at, at a lose here?

    Are you sure it isn't a broken return spring in the hand brake assembly? The
    drag on one of the brake shoes will slow you down but not necessarily stop
    you. Check for oil dripping from the bottom of the hand brake drum. That's
    if it is a broken return spring and if it's been going on long enough to cook
    the rear output shaft seal.

    Bob Sharp
    Tucson, AZ
    The slumbering herd on the Rover Ranch:
    52 Series I 80"
    53 Series I 80"
    60 Series II 88"
    63 Series IIa 88"
    71 Series IIa 109"
    96 Discovery Series I

    "Why is it that every project you complete on a Land Rover results in
    knowledge and skills you hope you never need to use again?"