Re: LRO: Clutch replacement

From: NADdMD@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 15:27:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/01 1:49:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, keith@miata.net
writes:

> Well, seeing as how my clutch both drags and slips, I'm thinking that
> perhaps a replacement might be in order. Remember, this truck sat for a
> decade before I started working on it. That explains the drag and it's not
> getting any better with driving. I can't shift into 1st or reverse without
> putting the transfer case into neutral.

I would suspect a sheared off pin in the linkage (where it enters the
bellhousing) is the cause of your drag problem. With the Rover hydraulic
clutch mechanism, I don't think a worn clutch would give you drag--unless the
pressure plate has broken springs. Worn out disk is usually a slippage
problem.

BUT if you're replacing the clutch, take out the flywheel and have it checked
for flatness and possibly resurfaced (machine shop job), replace the pilot
bushing (cheap to replace as long as you're there) and check the ring gear
for broken off or badly worn teeth--replace if necessary (better than having
to go back in there in a few months when it won't start with the starter)

Nate