LRO: corrosion issues/shipfitters disease/sil

From: SJH (SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 13:51:00 EDT

        What started as a rear heater install has led to removal of my
intermediate floor and repainting of my lower interior (the rovers' that
is) and spread to replacing my frame to body bolts and efforts to prevent
corrosion.

        It all started with pulling up some glued down carpet padding on my rear
right wheel well to mount a heater. I then discovered the floor was
painted two different colors (under the body color, I've found four
different colors on my 109), and so had some paint mixed up and started
stripping out the padding in the cargo area. Since the rest of the lower
interior has remnents of carpet adhesive stuck to it, it only seemed
natural to move forward....

        I recently pulled and refurbished the intermediate floor in my 109SW and
found some semi-serious corrosion at the extreme outboard ends of the
rearmost support flange for this floor panel. The floor panel is held in
place by large screws which screw into steel clips attached to the
support flange. The area around the hole where the clip is located on
the flange is heavily corroded/nonexistent. I considered going without
these two outermost screws, but I've been toying with using coarse thread
aluminum machine type screws and some home made aluminum "washers" to
just sort of hold things in place, and was wondering if anyone has tried
this. The screws are kind of spendy and I wonder if they will just strip
out when I tighten them down. I want to stay away from steel fasteners
in this location which I guess is susceptible to corrosion because of
mud/moisture from the rear wheel, or the lack of grease/oil thrown in the
area (no similar extent corrosion on the front intermediate floor support
flange). I'd also like to hear from folks on using plastic discs under
washers in contact with aluminum, as well as plastic between the tub and
the frame mounting tabs? I've noticed the tub tends to corrode not up
against the bolt/fastener proper, but rather, under the washer or other
steel part, such as rear seat mounts (in one case, it actually
penetrated, not at the bolt, but about a quarter inch away, at the edge
of a fender washer).

Naturally, I'm replacing all my frame to tub fixings in the area and am
doing the above with plastic washers.

I'm also dousing every bolt with some stuff called LPS-3, which is a
waxy/oily stuff I was turned on to by a friend.

Any other tips on corrosion prevention since "I'm in there?"

I've also pulled the seat frames, seat belt mounts, bac seat grab handle,
all of which are being powdercoated, and I've sanded and repainted the
top of the front seat box (since I had the frames out!).

Next: the front and sides of the front seat box (covered with glue) and
the front floors (rotten screws and silicone) and tranny tunnel cover,
since I am replacing the shifter.

Finally, a POX on anyone who uses silicone on bodywork. Ruined some
paintwork I was doing this weekend. The stuff was goobered everywhere on
my 109. I thought I'd sanded well enough to remove it, but apparently
not. Is there some magic spray on remover for this evil?

Simon